Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Diary of a Product Junky: Entry #1

Raise your hand if you are a Product Junky (or PJ for short). I am a CERTIFIED, hands down PJ who has come to grips with the severity of my situation. I will purchase and try virtually any beauty product that appeals to me from makeup to skincare to nailcare and beyond. While my makeup kit is completely to capacity for obvious reasons, if you were to take a look in my linen closet or beneath my bathroom sink, the PJ in me would be TOTALLY exposed! To provide assistance to my readers (my PJs in particular) when selecting products to purchase I decided to share my experiences with ones I have tried in order to promote the fabulous ones and stop you from wasting your money on the not-so-greats! For this post in particular I have selected a makeup product - Maybelline XXL PRO Extensions Mascare and a skincare product - Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser. So here we go................


Maybelline XXL PRO Extensions Mascara

While I have always been a strong advocate for Maybelline Great Lash mascara for an everyday mascara, up until a few months ago I was a ride or die MAC Zoom Lash Girl for a dramatic eye or night out. Around that time, the consistency of MAC Zoom Lash appeared to be different and I noticed that my application would constantly be lumpy, and once the product dried I would have God awful flaking. This was a SERIOUS problem for me and fed the PJ in me fuel to go a quest for an amazing dramatic mascara. I decided that since Maybelline Great Lash had never let me down, I would attempt an option from the Maybelline brand and ended up purchasing the Maybelline XXL PRO Extensions mascara is black for approximately $8.99. This mascara was initially appealing because it incorporated both the primer and actual mascara into the same product. Normally I would purchase both the primer and Zoom Lash separately from MAC so I was TOO excited about the 2 for 1 deal, however you receive more product when they are purchased from MAC, BUT spend approximately three times more money (so ultimately the Maybelline XXL PRO Extensions mascara is the better deal!). After applying two layers of the XXL PRO to my naked lashes and allowing them to dry I was instantly satisfied. This product separates, elongates and adds volume simultaneously creating a superb level of drama and elegance to the eyes. I have only used the product a handful of time, but I would strongly recommend it to all of you Fabs! Maybelline XXL PRO Extensions mascara is reasonably priced and is of a level of quality comparable to much pricier competitors.



Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser

For some reason when I reached the ripe old age of 25 my skin started to literally spazz out, so the PJ in me immediately went into action going on a serious mission to find the perfect cleanser that would cease the bad activity occurring on my face. After trying Neutrogena's Oil Free Acne wash and having the opposite reaction then that of what I expected I decided to select a product from a different brand entirely. I remembered one of my cousin's telling me that she loved this fabulous cleanser by Aveeno, and judging from her radiant skin, the cleanser was to die for. I excitedly purchased Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Cleanser and begin using it consistently for a few weeks. I'm disappointed to report that my experience with this product was not a positive one. It completely dried my skin and neglected to provide any noticeable positive changes with the condition of my skin, although I can say that my skin didn't worsen when using this product. I have combination skin and this product isn't marketed specifically to any single skin-type, however it's obvious after using it that it is made for people with oily skin. While I wouldn't recommend this product to my readers, I wouldn't totally bash its abilities simply because my experience wasn't completely negative.

No comments: